Monday, May 17, 2010

Irregular Economics

While that could be the title of my bank account, or my current career path, it was actually the title of the lesson I was left for two periods today. Now, I take pride in my ability to deliver a wide variety of high school curriculum, from Algebra to German to Ceramics to Physics labs to US History, plus all of that modified for special ed or English learners ... but seriously?!?! A powerpoint lecture on how irregular economic events cause inflation or stagnation in the GDP and unemployment figures, as evidenced by graphs of aggregate supply and aggregate demand, plus how governments get themselves into and out of this with lassaiz faire, supply-centric, or demand-centric policy ... all illustrated in historical events such as the Great Depression, the 70's recession, and Reaganomics.

No. Freaking. Way.

If I knew how all that worked, I wouldn't be where I am today, I can tell you that!

Luckily, the class has also been watching and discussing "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" so Hulu.com saved the day with the season finale that they hadn't seen yet.

I left an apologetic note to the teacher, but I don't feel that bad for not sticking to the lesson plan.

What is the craziest lesson you've ever been asked to teach?

No comments:

Post a Comment